Wednesday 19 June 2013

Playing Catch Up

I have been playing catch up with MY May bee blocks this week.  All of those hard-working hipBees stitched, sewed and posted their blocks back to me within the month (thank you ladies!) but it's only just tonight that I have added my own blocks to theirs.

With 13 blocks returned by the bees I decided to make another 3 so that I can make the quilt up in a 4x4 layout.  So, after all the fab blocks the girls sent me (see here), what did I decide to add to my own first ever bee quilt?



Firstly, I made a granny square because I've always wanted one for myself and the only one I made previously will be added to my MIL's birthday quilt.




Then, because I love the quatrefoil block, I decided to see what it would be like in just 3 fabrics (which was the remit of all my blocks - kona snow, one predominantly red fabric and one cream/red mix).  It does look a little different in this limited fabric selection but I'm happy with how it turned out.

And then, I sat on the floor with the blocks all laid out and one remaining gap trying to decide what to fill it with.  I sat ... and I sat ... and I sat and then I had a little light bulb moment and remembered Jenna's Peek-a-boo block from her SewHappyQuilt series which I had wanted to make before but never got around to.


 Hey presto, empty space catered for!  I love this one!

So, do you want to see all my blocks together?  Here's a quick peek before I start to work on sashing and bordering -

Bad pic but good blocks.
 Getting exciting!

And now for a quick bedroom decor update -


When I posted the finish of my hexie flower wallhanging I was apologetic for the discordant bedlinens (as I am for these green ones too).  But, there is hope for my scheming to change the colours in my room to co-ordinate better with the Ruby fabrics I used in the mini-quilt.

What do you think of my new pillowcases?  Better, no?  It has taken me over a year to find new bedlinens that I like and that 'sort of' pass muster with my Mister.  I may have asked him for an opinion on these when he was slightly distracted ;-)   He may find himself surprised to be sleeping in something more floral that he usually finds acceptable, but I believe there were some noises of assent so the order is on its way!!!

I am now impatiently awaiting the arrival of the duvet cover and then, my next plan is to use all of my remaining Ruby and Marmalade fabrics to make a summer quilt and some pillowcases (for next summer obviously) to allow me to swap the linens around.  Nothing like thinking big, is there?


11 comments:

  1. The bee quilt is looking grand. The pillowcases are lovely and I'm so glad that they passed the 'husband' test. I like your cunning plan for the long term. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those blocks together look wonderful! happy sashing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ask my spouse his opinion on household linens and if it's different from mine? I ignore him. *g* He wasn't keen on my strings quilt but I LOVE it on the bed. I think he quite likes it now. Actually, he picked the duvet cover and went for flowers and not stripes!

    LOVELOVELOVE your bee quilt. Your additions balance it perfectly - good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt will look great! I love the blocks. I have an easy-going husband, he doesn't care what patterns I choose. He is only interested in the quality of the mattress and the pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you wall quilt - it actually looks like a proper globe only flat - Ok in my head I know what I'm trying to say. Bee quilt is going to be fab. I spotted my block amongst all the other lovelies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh! Me like, a lot! V.girly! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobody could complain sleeping under a quilt of Ruby AND Marmadlade! Your quilt is going to look amazing. (I finished hand quilting mine last night)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo that's going to be a smashing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your red and white blocks! Pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bee quilt is gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous red and white blocks. I am just finishing piecing a swoon quilt out of Ruby which I plan to be my summer bed quilt too. I threw some Marmalade not the blocks too. I gave up asking my husband what he thought of the bed linen. He didn't care as long as he gets a good nights sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...